We’ve all been there. Students sometimes need to make due with certain resources and are forced to take certain shortcuts but that is no reason to be careless! Please take the steps needed in advance to make sure that all the guidelines for submission are being met. No need to be hasty, please read our FAQ and Submission Regulations before submitting. We’re all in the same boat and are here if there are any questions or concerns. Please contact us if further information is needed.
1. How do I submit my film to DIFF | LA?
To submit your film to DIFF | LA, you will have to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with all the information and attachments written in the submissions section. Please review the Rules and Regulations carefully prior to completing the online entry form.
Or click on the link to Withoutabox and submit through their website.
2. Can you mail or fax me a submissions form?
No. We are only accepting online applications through our website at www.DIFFLA.org
DEADLINES and FEES
3. What are the submissions deadline and fees for DIFF | LA 2014?
Monday, April 21st, 2014, 6PM PST
4. How can I pay the submissions fee?
Submissions are FREE and your film will be accepted as long as you abide by all of the rules. You just have to submit your movie according to the rules.
5. What if I submit after the deadline?
Your submission will be invalid and your film won’t be judged.
6. If I have already sent out the email, can I send another email with corrections?
Please try to send us the complete and correct information in your submission. If you need to change any information you have provided us with, you must email: email@example.com.
7. Can I submit a film that is a trailer or work-in-progress?
No. We will not be able to consider your film if you send in a trailer or work-in-progress film. We are only accepting finished films.
8. What is your preferred format for submission?
If you are submitting your film over our email, a link to Vimeo or YouTube (which can be set to private, if you provide us with your password) is enough for the selection process. It is optional to include a press kit, which would include director’s bio, posters and stills of the film. Otherwise we also accept submissions through Withoutabox, to which you can get over the link in the submissions section. We accept films in the NTSC format and do not currently accept the PAL format. Please be sure you submit your films in the approved format of NTSC or else your film may not be considered for selection. Once selected, we will ask for a high resolution file to screen the film at the event.
9. What should I include with my submission?
With your film, you must send a copy of your student ID/proof of graduation to verify your eligibility. Also include your full name and position in the film. It is requested to also send a list of the rest of the crew, but not required. It is optional to include a press kit with film stills, posters and director’s bio.
10. Is there a tracking number for submission?
No. We do not provide tracking numbers for submissions directly over our email. Only submissions over Withoutabox will receive a tracking number, to match their online submission to their email.
11. Where do I send my entry materials?
You may submit your materials digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org or through the WithoutABox website.
12. Do I have to obtain rights and clearances for the music or other copyrighted material included in my film?
Yes, you must possess the rights to use all intellectual property included in your film. Please review the Rules and Regulations carefully.
13. What happens if my link to Vimeo or YouTube doesn’t play right?
If your link doesn’t play right, we will contact you to request another upload of your film . However, if we don’t get a working link replaced in time, we must give preference to those who provide us with a viewable film. For this reason, we ask that you check the link yourself and recheck by sending the link to others to make absolutely certain that your film plays properly in its entirety, before you submit to us.
REQUIREMENTS + ELIGIBLITY
14. How do I know if my film is eligible for consideration?
Please refer to our rules and regulations for complete eligibility rules.
15. Can I choose the film section I want to submit to?
No. When you submit your film, you can choose between the following: Narrative Short, Documentary, Commercial / PSA, Music Video, and Experimental/Animation. If your film is selected to screen at the festival, the industry Judges at DIFF | LA will determine which film section best suits your film.
16. How do I know if my submission has arrived?
You will receive a notification email once we have received your submission. If you don’t receive our confirmation email, you may email us at email@example.com and to verify if we have received your submission. We will NOT accept submissions after April 7th, 2014, which means you will not get a notification email. DIFF | LA reserves the right to disqualify any submission.
17. When and how will I know if my film has been selected?
Films selected for screening in all categories will be notified on or about May 5th, 2014.
18. If my film isn’t chosen to screen during your Festival, will you let me know why?
No. Due to the large volume of submissions our programmers cannot offer individual critiques.
19. When does DIFF | LA take place?
The 2nd annual DIFF | LA will take place Saturday, June 7th, 2014.
20. Are there ID requirements or an age limit to enter the event?
This is a film student film festival, so you must supply us with a copy of your Student ID or a proof of graduation (which can only be one year prior to the date of the submission deadline date) when sending in your materials.
21. What are my parking options getting to the event?
There will be parking on the Art Center College of Design campus.
22. Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have.
23. Can I update my registration information?
You may update contact information and film information, but you cannot update or replace your film.
24. Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
Yes please! It will help us speed the check-in process.
25. What is the refund policy?
There is no refund, because submissions are free. Admissions are free as well, but the festival will start charging once we have reached a certain limit. There will be no refund for those purchased tickets